2017-18 Season - President's Message
Welcome to Fort Garry North Hockey - home of the Flyers! FGNHA and its many volunteers look forward to continuing to meet our association mandate of providing children with opportunities to develop hockey and life skills through fair play. I am very proud to be part of an association that is an inclusive community club program that provides every child with a fun, safe and positive playing environment.
The 2017-18 hockey season begins with great anticipation and excitement. New teams, new coaches, new friends and new experiences will all help contribute to positive lifelong memories.
The sport of hockey is one of which can be enjoyed by all ages and skill levels. A hockey season should not solely be judged on wins and losses. The smiling faces leaving the rink each and every day should measure our successes. The overall experience is what matters.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the volunteers in advance for their dedication to our young people. I cannot express in words the gratitude and appreciation I have for the thousands of hours our volunteers give to the children of FGNHA.
The 2017-18 hockey season has a couple of significant changes:
- Novice Hockey - All 7 and 8 years olds will be evaluated at the beginning of the season before the house league and novice teams are formed. The first half of the year will see the Novice League play games 5 on 5 with goalies on approximately ¾-ice surface. The remaining ice area will be used for 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 small area games. This format is city wide with the hope that players will have a better chance to develop their skill level. In the second half of the season, league play will return to its customary full ice format.
- Hockey Winnipeg has eliminated the Minor Bantam and Minor Midget age divisions. This means that the 13 and 14 year olds will play Bantam; and the 15, 16 and 17 year olds will play Midget. With this age grouping only the A1 divisions will play contact and the A2 will play non-contact. This new multi-age group only applies to Community Level hockey. AA and AAA will remain status quo.
To the players, good luck! Each time you step on the ice, you represent our community and I know your passion, your energy and your commitment to fair play will make our association proud that you wear our FGNHA crest.
Have fun and good luck in the upcoming season.
Evaluation Process FAQ for Parents
1. Each age group will receive a minimum of 3 skates
***in cases where a cohort does not have an equal number of skates please be aware that a skater can NOT surpass in ranking or drop in ranking a skater that does not have the same number of skates.
Ie. in the past a group of skaters are asked back for an additional skate. These request means that we are evaluating how the group of skaters are ranked amongst the requested group skating.
2. A minimum of 1 cohort skate will occur prior to team draft with aspiring coaches in attendance. This will allow coaches to be more informed at the draft. Aspiring coaches will be asked to run that skate.
3. Season ending coach evaluations will be required in the form of cluster of 4 rankings. This will be requested from coaches in February. More information to follow at ice draft meeting.