|In an effort to enhance the overall hockey experience for all participants, FGNHA continually invests in programs and infrastructure that provide both our players and coaches with an opportunity to further develop their core skills. Players can attend a variety of development sessions that occur throughout the hockey season and our coaches have the opportunity to participate in an assortment of mentorship programs.
More specifically, at the beginning of September, FGNHA operates a 4X4 conditioning hockey camp which assists our players in getting ready for the upcoming hockey season. These camps are open to both male and female participants between the ages of 5 and 14 and association members may sign-up for these camps at all FGNHA registration sessions.
In addition to the 4x4 camps, during the Hockey season, FGNHA implemented a Coach and Player Development Program that focused on improving the skills of both our players (ages 5 to 20 years old) and our volunteer coaches. As an association we funded over 70 hours of on-ice instruction and featured guest instructors like Carey Wilson, Rick St. Croix and others. Some of the highlights of the programs offered during the hockey season include:
These sessions were run at no additional cost to any of the players and/or coaches who participated.
- Stick Handling, Shooting & Goal Scoring
- Goaltending Camps with Rick St. Croix
- 5/6 & 7/8 Basic Skill Development Camps
- Age Group Specific Skill Competitions
- Defencemen Camps
- Body Checking Camps
FGNHA has expanded its CDP initiatives funding new programs:
- Discounted skill development sessions at Total Hockey Centre
- Total Hockey Centre Power Skating Program
- Hockey for Breakfast Coaching Clinic #1 with Bob Caldwell (Hockey Canada Mentor) as well as representatives from Hockey Manitoba